More About Pwllheli
The rest of the town faces the sea. There is a four-hundred-berth marina at Hafan Pwllheli, and the Welsh national sailing academy stands beside it. The South Beach runs a mile along Cardigan Bay behind. The Cambrian Coast railway ends here.
This is a working Welsh town rather than a resort, which is much of its charm. Llanbedrog and its painted beach huts are three miles west. Abersoch and the boats are seven miles on, and Aberdaron at the tip is under forty minutes away. The Cambrian Coast line runs from here to Machynlleth and on to Shrewsbury.
In August 1925 the National Eisteddfod — Wales’s national festival of music and poetry — came to Pwllheli. While it was on, a handful of men sat down in a café called Maes Gwyn, just off the market square, and founded a political party.
They did it by merging two small nationalist groups, one led by Saunders Lewis and one by H. R. Jones, and its first aim was a Welsh-speaking Wales. It took the name Plaid Cymru in 1945. The party came back to Pwllheli in June 2025 for its hundredth birthday, and a plaque marks the spot.
The town is still overwhelmingly Welsh-speaking, and you will hear that on the square on a Wednesday. Fruit and vegetables, plants, tools and clothes go out on fifty-odd stalls, on ground that has held a market for six hundred and seventy-one years.
The charter came from Edward of Woodstock, eldest son of Edward III, who is remembered as the Black Prince. He never became king, but the right he granted the town in 1355 is still being used every week.
The seaside half of Pwllheli is a Victorian bolt-on. In 1893 a Cardiff businessman called Solomon Andrews bought the South Beach estate and built the West End: promenade, hotel, bandstand and cycle track. He then ran a horse tramway three miles along the shore to Llanbedrog so that his visitors had somewhere to go.
A storm wrecked the tramway in 1927 and it never ran again. The promenade is still there, and so is the beach, running a mile east from the harbour mouth.
Pwllheli accommodation — your questions answered
- Why stay in Pwllheli?
- It is the main town of the Llŷn, halfway along the peninsula. The market, the marina, the shops and a mile of beach are all within walking distance of each other.
- What's nearby?
- Abersoch, Llanbedrog, Criccieth and the coves, beaches and coast path of the Llŷn Peninsula Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Are there dog-friendly places?
- Yes — plenty of dog-friendly cottages, with beaches nearby that welcome dogs.
- Is there a beach?
- Yes. The South Beach runs a mile east from the harbour mouth, sand the whole way, with the promenade behind it. Llanbedrog three miles west is sheltered and shallow. Neither has lifeguards: Gwynedd, the county this coast sits in, puts no RNLI lifeguards on any of its beaches and uses its own seasonal wardens instead.
- Can I get here by train?
- Pwllheli is the end of the Cambrian Coast line. Trains run up from Machynlleth and Shrewsbury, calling at Porthmadog and Criccieth, and the station is a few minutes from the square.
- When is the market?
- Every Wednesday morning on Y Maes, the square in the middle of town. Upwards of fifty stalls at the height of summer, selling fruit and vegetables, plants, tools and clothes.
- Is Welsh widely spoken here?
- Very. You will hear it in the shops and on the square, and it is the everyday language of the town. Nobody expects a visitor to speak it.
Pwllheli is the market town of the Llŷn, with a marina, a mile of beach and the Welsh language everywhere: eighteen places in all, the cheapest £56 a night. It is well placed for the whole peninsula. Abersoch and its boats are seven miles on, and the beaches run in both directions.